Music education rates high in most countries in the world and jobs are widely available for qualified music educators in the private industry as well as music school, universities, colleges and more. A typical assistant Professor of music education at a university’s qualification will be a preferred Doctorate in Music Education and preferably some school teaching experience, although it will differ from institution to institution.
A Middle School Music teacher in the USA will have minimum Bachelor’s degree and preferably also some experience. The average annual salary range for this position will be up to $55,000. A Music Therapist position is often designed for students with disabilities and the music is used as therapy for emotional, behavioural, psycho-social, sensory-motor, physiological and more problems children may have. A Music Therapist will therefore have a B.A. Music Therapy degree.
A music school classroom teacher such as a Vocal Music teacher will contribute to existing music instructors at a school and an expert as vocal music instructor. Music Education at music school level has e very broad variety of teaching jobs available to music professionals, such as Music/Instrumental Teachers, Elementary school music instructors, Band instructors and more.
A Tenure-Track teaching position at a university will require an applicant to have a Doctorate in music and typical responsibilities includes, maintaining of studio, directing of band, and creation of activities, student advising and more. A Choral Studies Director at a university requires Doctorate in Music and sometimes a Master’s will be accepted. A graduate will be teaching and conducting chamber singers, large choirs and cappella group as part of daily duties. A Director of Symphonic at a university needs a Master’s degree in Music and duties will include teaching of courses in conducting as well as conducting the particular university’s choir. Preference is usually given for graduates in an active performing career.
Research has proved that children’s intellectual development improves significantly with music education. Non- music students received less academic awards and honours according to a study conducted by the National Education Longitudinal study in Washington D.C. A child’s abstract reasoning improves intelligence far better than computer training ever could accord neurological research.
Playing music and reading musical notes activate brain activity in the four cortex lobes as well as the cerebellum. It is not only excellent choice of parents to enroll a child in a music school for only the sake of art, but also enrich their lives and communities by developing highly intelligent and productive young people.
Music education provides a young adult with enthusiasm, creativity and an energy they need to be productive adults later in life. Some sorts of music education are often available to students inside a general education facility or specialized music schools. Music education is also available to elementary school children in after- school form or in the form of higher education.
This music education will involve music theory, music history, musicology, musicianship, conducting, musical composition, singing and performance of musical instruments. Music schools are available to children from ages 8 and older usually and typically admission to these schools requires a competitive audition. Usually in a typical music school less time will be spent on the academic side as students’ progress through the years and music development will increase instead.
A conservatory on the other hand may cover more subjects than the typical music school, which may concentrate on instrumentalists mainly and the other often cover dance, drama, music and performing arts. Adults should invest in children’s futures by getting them an audition at a music school if they show interest in the music industry or encourage them to perform a musical instrument if they show an inclination as young musicians are bred from an early age.
Many countries have music schools and typically there are four different types and offers different types of education. A preparatory school offers training in different artistic endeavours such as dance, music performance or arts to elementary and high-school children. Students who excel may continue at post-secondary level as well as other professional education programs. Some music education are available to students who does not have a music school close to them, in the form of boarding preparatory schools and they educate in pre-professional training programs at college level. Three of these boarding schools in the United States are:
• Walnut Hill School
• Interlochen Centre for the Arts
• Idyllwild Arts Academy
A very popular music school is a conservatory as they specialize in nothing other than put all their focus on music. Students aiming at a purely musical performance career and wish to exclude most academic requirements of other music schools and want a music education mainly prefer these conservatories as the academic requirements are usually supplemental. Some contemporary music conservatories include:
• McNally Smith College of Music in Minnesota
• New England Conservatory in Boston, MA
• The New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music in New York
• Los Angeles Music Academy College of Music in Los Angeles, CA
• Berklee College of Music in Boston Massachusetts
As part of a larger university
They are close to independent conservatories and some music schools incorporate into a large university and some of these are:
• Shenandoah University Conservatory in Winchester, Virginia
• University of Northh Texas College of Music in Denton
• The College-Conservatory of Music in Cincinnati, OH
• Jacobs School of Music AT Indiana university in Bloomington, IN
• University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance in Ann Arbor, MI
• Thornton School of Music of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, CA
Conservatory as part of a larger university
This type of music school resembles both an independent conservatory and a university music school and although it is attached to a specific university they may also function separately. Music conservatories often choose to be affiliated to the university as they can then offer a broader field of education to students as well as the main university students can receive conservatory music education. Some of these affiliated conservatories are:
• Peabody Institute – Johns Hopkins University affiliate
• Blair School of music – Vanderbilt University affiliate
• Mannes College – New School affiliate
• Bienen School of Music – North-western University affiliate
The Media Writer’s Guide: Writing for Business and Educational Programming by William Van Nostran (Dec 22, 1999)
Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Podcasting by George Colombo and Curtis Franklin (Oct 27, 2005)
For more information, please visit: Amazon
Heavy Metal Music in Britain (Ashgate Popular and Folk Music Series) by Gerd Bayer (Feb 28, 2009)
Constructing Authorship in Popular Music: Artists, Media and Stardom by Laura Ahonen (Oct 23, 2008)
For more information, please visit: Amazon
- Academy of Arts in Tirana
- Conservatorio Nacional Superior de Música
- Universidad Católica Argentina
- Yerevan Komitas State Conservatory
- Armenian State Pedagogical University
- Anton Bruckner Private University for Music, Drama, and Dance
- Universität für Musik und Darstellende Kunst “Mozarteum” Salzburg (University Mozarteum Salzburg)
- Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien
- Konservatorium Wien
- Australian Institute of Music
- Australian String Academy
- Australian Youth Orchestra
- Box Hill Institute of TAFE
- Australian National University School of Music
- Elder Conservatorium
- Melba Memorial Conservatorium of Music
- University of Melbourne
- Australian National Academy of Music
- Victorian College of the Arts School of Music
- Monash University School of Music
- Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University
- University of Queensland School of Music
- Sydney Conservatorium of Music
- University of Newcastle Conservatorium
- University of Tasmania Conservatorium
- University of Western Australia School of Music
- Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts
- Conservatoire Royal de Bruxelles
- Muda Institute
- Conservatoire Royal de Liège